In recognition of the stellar leadership in our industry, and in keeping with the commitment of providing leadership to the local correction profession through education, research, and best practices, the AJA Awards Committee identifies and presents annual awards to these exceptional practitioners so they can be publicly acknowledged at AJA’s Annual Conference & Jail Expo.
Award nominations for 2021 are closed.
AJA 2020 Awardees (click on name to see bio):
- Francis R. “Dick” Ford Distinguished Service Award: Michael J. Ashe, Jr., Retired Sheriff, Hampden County Sheriff's Department, Ludlow, Massachusetts
- Valor Award: Alex Thompson, Deputy Sheriff, Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, West Palm Beach, Florida
- Innovation Award: San Diego County Sheriff's Department, San Diego, California
- Ray Coleman Administrator of the Year: Jim Adams, CJM, Warden/Technical Director, Naval Consolidated Brig Chesapeake Chesapeake, Virginia
- Correctional Supervisor of the Year: Shawn Stapleton, CJO, Lieutenant/Shift Commander, Garland County Sheriff's Office - Detention Center, Hot Springs, Arizona
- Correctional Training Officer of the Year: Thomasina Dyer-Parker, CJM, Training Lieutenant, Charleston County Sheriff's Office - Sheriff Al Cannon Detention Center, North Charleston, South Carolina
- Correctional Officer of the Year: Danica Baird, CJO, Deputy, Wyandotte County Sheriff's Office, Kansas City, Kansas
- Civilian Employee of the Year: Ryan Hensley, Detention Services Manager, Washoe County Sheriff's Office, Reno, Nevada
- Volunteer of the Year: Sister Margaret "Peggy" Devaney, Co-Chaplain, Oakland County Sheriff's Office, Pontiac, Michigan