CORRECTIONAL DEPUTY SHERIFF
Ensure Detention Center Security and Public Safety through custody and control of incarcerated offenders. Maintain order and discipline within the facility's inmate population. Ensure the general health, safety, and welfare of the inmates and promote rehabilitation. Maintain issued uniforms and equipment. Display appropriate standards of conduct. Become knowledgeable of, be able to effectively implement policies and operational procedures as directed by superior authority.
Examples of Work
1. Conduct regular inspections of inmate housing areas to detect and correct problems
adversely affecting facility security, safety, sanitation, and inmate welfare.
2. Monitor and directly supervise the daily activities of inmates including group recreation,
work details, meals, programming, and general movement through the facility.
3. Enforce established Rules and Regulations governing the conduct of inmates.
4. Conduct searches to control contraband and detect breaches of security.
5. Respond to the legitimate needs of the inmates, providing reasonable counsel and
6. Prepare reports describing unusual incidents and routine activities. Maintain log books
used as official records.
7. Participate in required training, both formal and on-the-job.
8. Assist other correctional staff as necessary.
9. Assist the public and related judicial agencies with legitimate business needs.
10. Assist with the Intake and Release Processing of offenders.
11. Promptly communicate matters of importance to superiors and other correctional staff.
12. Perform other duties assigned by superior authority.