Staff Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
STAFF LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (L.P.N)
REGISTERED NURSE (RN) CLINICAL MANAGER
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CLASS:
The Staff Licensed Practical Nurses basic duties are to be responsible for direct nursing care of inmates
incarcerated in the detention facilities in accordance with established policies and procedures of the facility and the accepted standard of nursing practice within the state. The primary responsibilities are to provide sick call, deliver medication, respond to emergencies, and conduct physical appraisals on inmates
. The Staff Licensed Practical Nurse (L.P.N.) functions under the clinical supervision of a state of Florida Registered Nurse (R.N.) and/or facility Physician and reports administratively to the Registered Nurse (R.N.) Clinical Manager.
Staff Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
||HERNANDO COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
|Posting Start Date:
The Staff L.P.N. will ensure that his/her State of Florida nursing license is current and all Continuing Education Unit (CEU) requirements are met. Copies of the State of Florida issued license must be submitted to the Medical Records Technician no later than the first day of the month the license is due to expire. Copies of all CEUs must also be submitted at that time.
[NOTE]: These examples are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Day-to-Day Duties:
- Maintain a professional, courteous and respectful demeanor at all times.
- Contact Physicians or pharmacies to verify prescribed medications of an inmate and schedule per directive and Physicians orders as needed
- Administer prescribed medications as ordered and record inmate response to medical regimen.??????
- Assist during clinic visits and sick call if needed.
- Triage inmates requesting medical services according to protocol.
- Collect blood or laboratory samples perform skin tests for tuberculosis and other tests ordered by the Physician.??????
- Perform dressing changes, treatments, and vital sign checks as ordered.
- Communicate to Physician or supervisor any potentially significant medical complaints or observations discovered during routine duties.
- Report to supervisor any alterations noted in inmate’s behavior. Initiate 15-minute checks/ suicide precautions, if needed.???P
- Perform physical assessments and medical histories on inmates entering the detention facility as required.??????
- Conduct use of force (UOF) assessments within 30 minutes of incident unless circumstances dictate otherwise.??????
- Write transfer summaries and deliver them to the Booking Sergeant.??????
- Track medical statistics as assigned.
- Follow all Physician standing orders completely.
- Respond to emergencies as needed.
- Initiate flow sheets as required.
- Check and review pharmacy shipment for accuracy and inform pharmacy of any discrepancies.
- Maintains Records/Lab, etc.:
- Review receiving screening and medical questionnaire and follow-up, as needed, on reported medical problem
- Be familiar with medication side effects and report any such problem to Physician or supervisor
- Accurately document each health care interface.
- Other Administrative Duties:
- Maintain confidentiality of both medical and mental status of inmates.
- Assist in maintaining medical records, file medical paperwork to be scanned into charts.
- Maintain supplies and work area.
- Performs additional duties as directed by higher authority.
- Training and Experience:
- Graduate of an accredited licensed practical nurse (L.P.N.) nursing program.
- Currently licensed in the State of Florida to perform work and render care in the role of Licensed Practical Nurse
- Correctional setting nursing experience, preferred.
- Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures
- Ability to work quickly and accurately without constant supervision
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, and arithmetic
- Ability to handle confidential matters without compromising confidentiality
- Ability to operate standard office equipment such as typewriter, copy machine and computer terminal.???????
- Essential Physical Skills:
- ???????Ability to communicate orally
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Ability to walk unassisted
- Ability to endure acts of physical exertion and endure periods of duty under sometimes stressful situations including activities such as lifting/carrying, reaching, climbing, pulling, good near and distant vision (with or without correction), Good hearing (with or without hearing aid), kneeling, bending, pushing, standing, crawling, balancing, smelling, stooping, jumping, and running.
- Ability to respond to a vast array of medical emergencies, delivering quality emergency care to all patients at all times.
||This listing expires on: 11/12/2023