Southside Regional Jail Superintendent
Regional Jail Superintendent Job Opening
Southside Regional Jail Authority is accepting applications from July 16, 2021 through August 9, 2021 0800
, for the position of Superintendent for the Southside Regional Jail, an adult correctional facility in Emporia, Virginia serving Greensville County and the City of Emporia.
Candidates should possess a minimum of five years’ experience at a supervisory level in correctional operations with a public, private or military agency. The position requires certification through the American Jail Association as a Certified Jail Manager, or the commitment to obtain such certification within one year from date of hire, as well as certification in and maintenance of all Department of Criminal Justice Services mandated training as a jail officer in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The position requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to or
graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in criminal justice, public administration or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. A benefits package includes participation in the Virginia Retirement System, to include LEOS; paid health insurance including medical, dental, and vision; life insurance; and vacation, holidays, and sick leave.
Candidates should apply by submitting a resume, cover letter and at least three professional references to email@example.com
. Please list “SRJA Superintendent Position” in the subject line. For questions or to receive a copy of a more detailed job description, please contact SRJA legal counsel, Jeff Gore at 804-780-3143 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Southside Regional Jail Superintendent
||southside regional jail
||Refer to Position Description
|Posting Start Date:
SOUTHSIDE REGIONAL JAIL AUTHORITY
The Southside Region Jail Authority Board is accepting applications for the position of Superintendent (Colonel) for the Southside Regional Jail which serves the localities of the County of Greensville and the City of Emporia, Virginia. Applications accepted from July 16, 2021 until August 9, 2021 0800.
About the Position
The Superintendent provides advanced professional and managerial work of considerable difficulty directing the operations of the Southside Regional Jail. The work involves responsibility for planning, organizing, and directing the activities of the facility and serving as the primary liaison to state and local criminal justice agencies, city and county officials and departments, community and professional organizations.
The work requires considerable initiative and independent judgement and is performed under the general direction of the Southside Regional Jail Authority. It is reviewed through conferences, reports, and results obtained. This position exercises supervision over all agency staff. Key positon responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, directing and administering operations for the custody, security, and welfare of inmates in compliance with institutional policies and procedures, mandatory state standards, and relevant state and federal law.
- Ensuring all purchases and contracts comply with Federal, State, and local rules and regulations and Authority policies.
- Revising the Jail Authority’s policies and procedures to maintain compliance with evolving legal requirements, codes and standards.
- Coordinating, preparing, and managing the operating budget.
- Recommending policies for adoption by the Authority, implements Authority decisions.
- Overseeing the management and training of the staff to ensure the achievement of goals and maintenance of institutional safety and security.
- Promoting, assigning, disciplining, and reviewing evaluations on all personnel.
- Making decisions on employee grievances.
- Overseeing the management of the inmate population; resolving inmate issues, complaints, and concerns; serving as the highest authority in responding to inmate grievances; and assuring quality treatment and a safe, secure confinement for inmates.
- Initiating studies of special needs and oversees standard and preventive maintenance of the physical plant.
- Serving as the primary liaison to outside groups and individuals; maintaining current knowledge of legislation that could affect the jail operation and assisting the Jail Authority in developing a legislative program.
- Participating in activities of professional associations to ensure access to useful information and to contribute to professional activities.
The successful candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Be a leader who has the skills to effectively manage a jail operation, motivate staff, and manage a diverse work force.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of the individual and group behavior in an institutional setting.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of the laws applicable to correctional operations; of federal, state, and local laws as they relate to regional jails and inmates; and of Court operations and the administration and execution of civil process.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, as well as the ability to interpret policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationship with local and state officials, the media, and local community groups.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop contingency plans and to deal with emergency situations, acting decisively in the event of the same.
- Possess a minimum of five (5) years’ experience, at supervisory level in correctional operations with a public, private or military agency, or a combination of education and experience equivalent to these requirements.
- Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to or graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in criminal justice, public administration or related field; a Master’s Degree preferred.
- Requires certification through the American Jail Association (AJA) as a Certified Jail Manager (CJM), or obtain such certification within one year from date of hire.
- Requires certification in and maintenance of all Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) mandated training as a jail officer in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Requires the ability to be able to respond in a timely manner during emergencies to the Southside Regional Jail facility.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. A benefits package includes participation in the Virginia Retirement System, to include LEOS; paid health insurance (employee only) including medical, dental, and vision; life insurance; and vacation, holidays, and sick leave. In addition, there is also a vehicle provided for travel to and from work and to and from all meetings associated with the general business of the facility.
Selection Process and Questions
Candidates should apply by submitting a completed Southside Regional Jail Authority Application and resume, with a cover letter and contact information for three profession references to Hefty Wiley & Gore P.C. by emailing to email@example.com. For questions contact: Mr. Jeff Gore, Attorney for Southside Regional Jail Authority.
||This listing expires on: 8/9/2021