The Merrimack County Department of Corrections is accepting applications for full time Correctional Officers to provide a safe and secure environment while managing the daily care, custody, and control of the inmates under correctional supervision.
Essential Job Functions to include:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Support and uphold the Mission, Vision and Values of the Merrimack County Department of Corrections.
- Maintains order and discipline in assigned area by observing inmates in housing areas, showers, recreation sites, medical/psychiatric areas, visitor reception areas, and any other specified areas.
- Processes incoming inmates, completes intake paperwork, issues clothing and toilet articles, takes finger prints and identification photos, and advises inmates on correctional facility rules and regulations.
- Maintains Control Room logs.
- Answers the phone and receives visitors.
- Inspects cells, dayrooms, kitchen, dining room, visiting room and other areas for security breaches.
- Exercises immediate custody of individual inmates when moving between various activities or as assigned.
- Counts inmates and secures order in the corrections facility during an assigned shift.
- Performs constant surveillance in observing inmates and inmate activities; corrects, records, and reports improper inmate behavior.
- Supervises inmate programs as requested.
- Applies institutional rules fairly and impartially to inmates exhibiting improper behavior or possession or illegal property.
- Respond to any Code announced by Central Control expediently and safely.
- Performs other similar or related duties as required and directed.
A drug screen, criminal history and background check will be required of all conditional hires.
- Ability to demonstrate a clear understanding of correctional facility policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with administrative staff, lieutenants, sergeants, corrections personnel, inmates, their families and the general public.
- Ability to act quickly and effectively in emergencies and to be attentive to details.
- Ability to prepare written materials and to analyze data.
- Ability to perform repetitive or routine duties working from detailed instructions and under standard procedures. Involves the exercise of judgment in the analysis of facts or conditions regarding individual problems or transactions to determine what actions should be taken, within the limits of standard practice.
- Ability to command respectful compliance.
- Requires responsibility for contributing to immediate, ongoing department objectives by facilitating the direct provision of services to the public or other county or state agencies.
- Requires explaining facts, interpreting situations, or advising individuals of alternative or appropriate courses of action. Requires interviewing or eliciting information from county employees or members of the general public.
- Requires a combination of job functions using minimal judgment to perform a variety of job tasks according to clearly prescribed standard practices and procedures.
- Requires making a limited number of choices in selecting among alternative courses of action under supervisory guidance and in performing job functions according to a variety of prescribed policies and procedures.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Applications may be filed online at
To find out more about Merrimack County Department of Corrections visit us on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
||Merrimack County Department of Corrections
|Posting Start Date:
- Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent. Prior Correctional experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the required knowledges, skills and abilities with or without reasonable accommodation as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Certified Correctional Officer by the NH Association of Counties.
||This listing expires on: 7/10/2021