This individual is a highly responsible Department Head who exercises the overall responsibility for the operation, control and regulation of the Worcester County Jail and is responsible for the care of all inmates. The warden is responsible to and reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and County Commissioners.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs the activities and operations of the Jail.
- Develops and enforces policies and operating procedures for the administration of the Jail and the regulation of inmates.
- Supervises all Correctional Officers, clerical, food service and support staff of the Jail.
- Schedules and assigns Correctional Officer assignments; ensures proper training of Correctional Officers and other staff.
- Plans, establishes and monitors work release and inmate activities and programs
- Establishes inmate rules and regulations; conducts investigations and hearings regarding inmate discipline and other complaints as necessary. Conducts appeal hearings for inmate grievances and disciplinary hearings
- Develops, supervises and monitors the inmate classification system.
- Monitors the maintenance of records of all inmates committed to the Jail and such other records and accounts as may be required.
- Prepares and submits the annual budget and supervises the disbursement of all funds expended for the operation of the Jail.
- Coordinates with the Sheriff, Courts, State’s Attorney, as well as other law enforcement or judicial agencies with regard to acceptance, confinement and release of inmates.
- Makes regular inspections during the three shifts to ensure its security and treatment are effective, and being carried.
- Required to be on 24-hour call for emergencies, and directs the total operation of emergencies, which could affect the well-being of the staff, inmates or public safety.
- Supervises staff and make recommendations for same regarding personnel matters in accordance with the County’s personnel rules and regulations, including hiring and disciplinary action.
- Ensures confidentiality of information and records and complies with record retention schedule
- Supervises inmate health care
- Supervises the maintenance of the facility
- Ensures commissary and kitchen are incompliance
- Coordinates audits and voluntary programs
- Coordinates contracts with all third-party vendors and ensures billing is correct and paid timely
- Coordinates all capital improvement projects with County Engineer
- Oversees the safety programs, procedures, training, fire drills, COOP plans, etc.
- Supports, enforces, and adheres to the Worcester County Government and Jail’s Personnel Rules & Regulations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
||Worcester County Government
||Snow Hill, MD
|Posting Start Date:
||Qualifications and Skills:
- A Bachelor of Science Degree from an accredited college in Criminal Justice or closely related program along with a minimum of five years experience in corrections management, supervision and administration.
- Must be certified by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission.
- PREA Investigator and Food Service certification (i.e. Serve Safe)
- Experience in jail and inmate management, ICE practices, corrections administrative practices, and working knowledge of facility systems as they relate to the maintenance of the jail. Worcester County Jail experience preferred.
- Ability to assume responsibility and take initiative in establishing jail procedures and programs.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and County laws, rules and regulations as they apply to the operation of a Jail and the confinement of inmates.
- Ability to act calmly and quickly in an emergency and to supervise as necessary.
- Capacity to work with and carry out the directives and policies of the County Commissioners and their representatives, and to work harmoniously with other officials and agencies.
- Valid driver’s license and driving record of less than 4 points (MD).
||This listing expires on: 11/30/2020