Start Date: 11/6/2019 8:00 AM MST
End Date: 11/7/2019 5:00 PM MST
Venue Name: Denver Sheriff Training Academy
American Jail Association
Religious Programming Issues in Jails
Hosted by: Denver Sheriff Training Academy
Lead Instructor: Carrie Hill
In today’s jails, allowing inmates to practice their religious beliefs is a requirement. This workshop examines the role, benefits, and issues of religious programming, as well as the religious rights of inmates. Topics of discussion include specific types of religion; their beliefs, diets, and clothing requirements; and how religious diets affect kitchen operations. Participants also discuss educating administrators and other employees about programming issues as well as examining religious legal issues and lawsuits. Other topics include the donation of literature, volunteer screening and orientations, holding services, safety and security concerns, and jailhouse conversions.
By the end of this workshop, participants can:
- Understand the religious rights of inmates.
- Learn how to manage the effects of religious requirements on jail operations.
- Differentiate between a recognized religion and a political movement.
- Learn to apply legal standards by RLUIPA and the First Amendment in the correctional setting.
- Develop ways to address safety and security issues.
- Create and implement programs that meet legal criteria.
- Understand specific types of religions and their service needs.
- Recognize the implications of jailhouse conversions.
Registration Fee: $345 Members $395 Non-Members
Program fee includes all training materials. Lodging and meals are the responsibility of the attendee.
Denver Sheriff Training Academy
5440 Roslyn Street, Building 5
Denver, CO 80216
A minimum number of participants are needed to hold our workshops. You may cancel up to five business days prior to the Professional Development Workshop. No refunds will be given for cancellations received five or less business days before the class. All cancellations are subject to a $50 service fee. Your cancellation must be received in writing via fax or e-mail. Substitutions are acceptable. "No Shows" will be charged at the applicable rate.
It is strongly recommened that participants DO NOT purchase airline tickets without first contacting AJA to confirm program availability. Workshops begin at 8:00 AM and usually go until 4:00 PM (unless otherwise noted).