In recognition of the stellar leadership in our industry, and in keeping with the commitment of providing leadership to the local correction profession through education, research, and best practices, the AJA Awards Committee identifies and presents annual awards to these exceptional practitioners so they can be publicly acknowledged at AJA’s Annual Conference & Jail Expo.
The Awards Committee of the American Jail Association is tasked each year to identify these exceptional practitioners so they can be recognized publicly at AJA's Annual Conference & Jail Expo.
AJA 2017 Awardees:
- Francis R. “Dick” Ford Distinguished Service Award: Arthur M. Wallenstein, Director (Retired), Montgomery County Department of Correction and Rehabilitation, Olney, Maryland.
- Correctional Administrator of the Year: Jamie Clayton, Chief Deputy of Corrections, Imperial County Sheriff's Office, El Centro, California.
- Correctional Supervisor of the Year: Dawn T. Livers, Sergeant, Sumter County Sheriff's Office, Bushnell, Florida.
- Correctional Training Officer of the Year: Kerrilyn Greathouse, Lieutenant/Training Coordinator, Sheriff Al Cannon Detention Center, North Charleston, South Carolina.
- Correctional Officer of the Year: Michael Cheung, Deputy Sheriff, Washoe County Sheriff's Office, Reno, Nevada.
- Civilian Employee of the Year: Melinda Myers Fellner, Director of Inmate Services, McLean County Detention Facility, Bloomington, Illinois.
- Volunteer of the Year: Simon Light, Ute Tribe Public Works Supervisor/Volunteer, Ute Mountain Ute Tribe, Towaoc, Colorado.
Click here to read our Awardees’ bio’s from 2017.